Postdoctoral Associate PositionPosting Date: 02/29/2024
Closing Date: 02/28/2025
The Department of Public Health Sciences (PHS) and the Cancer Prevention and Control Program at the University of Virginia seeks a postdoctoral associate position. The successful candidate will work closely with Dr. Jamie Zoellner, as well as other investigators and project staff in the PHS department and Community-Based Health Equity research program. The research experiences will span a number of community-based research projects that target nutrition, obesity, and cancer-related initiatives. Specifically, the candidate will gain research experiences through collaboration on two National Institutes of Health (NIH) funded R01 projects: 1) iSIPsmarter: An RCT to evaluate the efficacy, reach, and engagement of a technology-based behavioral and health literacy intervention to reduce sugary beverages among rural Appalachian adults, and 2) weSIPsmarter: An adaptation and efficacy trial to evaluate a behaviorally based digital health intervention aimed at reducing sugary drinks among rural Head Start preschoolers and their parents. The candidate will also have the opportunity to engage in multiple other projects and receive mentoring in grant writing. As appropriate, the candidate can expect to obtain advanced training in digital behavioral interventions, remote data collection and monitoring, cancer-related disparities, community-based participatory research, rural health, implementation science, and interdisciplinary team science. Funds will be available for conference travel and other training experiences.
• Doctorate in behavioral sciences, nutrition, health sciences, exercise science, public health,
psychology, sociology or related field required.
• Experience working on federally funded research trials.
• Expertise and training in nutrition, obesity and/or cancer.
• Must have a strong interest and experience in community-based research and working with
at-risk and diverse communities.
• Interest in translational science and working with a multidisciplinary team of scientists.
• Data management and statistical analytic skills.
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills, including record of peer-review
publications and scholarly presentations.
• Strong track record in cooperative work.
• Creative, independent, and highly motivated, with the ability to interact professionally in
both research and community environments.
• This position is based at the UVA’s satellite office in Christiansburg, Virginia
• This position will require periodic travel
• Occasional overnight travel will be required
• The initial appointment is for 1 year, with 1-2 years of additional funding available,
contingent on performance
• The position is available immediately, but a start date is negotiable
To apply visit jobs.virginia.edu and search for Posting R0047073, complete a candidate profile, and provide a cover letter, CV, and list of three references. The position will remain open until filled, review of applications will begin on March 10, 2044.
This position is restricted and contingent upon the continuation of funding.
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Jamie Zoellner, PhD, RD
University of Virginia, School of Medicine
Professor, Department of Public Health Sciences
Cancer Control and Population Health, UVA Cancer Center
Community-Based Health Equity Research Program
Christiansburg, VA 24060