Social ScientistPosting Date: 06/16/2021
Closing Date: 06/22/2021
The Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) Center for Tobacco Products (CTP) regulates the manufacturing, marketing, and distribution of tobacco products. Our goal is to reduce the harm from all regulated tobacco products across the entire population, including: reducing the number of people who start to use tobacco products, encouraging more people to stop using these products, and reducing the adverse health impact for those who continue to use these products. CTP’s actions have significant public health and consumer protection impact and are among the most important issues faced by the Agency in its long and distinguished history.
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Office of Medical Products and Tobacco, Center for Tobacco Products (CTP), Office of Science (OS), located in Beltsville, Maryland.
• Participates in matters related to population health and tobacco regulatory science, including the behavioral and Social Science aspects of public health issues related to tobacco products.
• Serve as a subject-matter expert in the development of policy by providing expertise on current trends in social science, including, but not limited to cognitive, experimental, or social psychology, economics, sociology, and communications science.
• Designs and develops research protocols using behavioral and social science perspective of public health issues and problems (both quantitative and qualitative research).
• Analyzes data obtained in studies designed to investigate comprehension, judgement, knowledge and behavior related to tobacco products.
• Reviews, analyzes, and evaluates the potential impact of labeling and advertising on consumer comprehension, judgment, and knowledge related to tobacco products.
The position of Social Scientist falls under the 0101 occupational series. To qualify for this position at grade GS-13, you must meet the following:
Degree: behavioral or social science; or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
Combination of education and experience that provided the applicant with knowledge of one or more of the behavioral or social sciences equivalent to a major in the field.
Four years of appropriate experience that demonstrated that the applicant has acquired knowledge of one or more of the behavioral or social sciences equivalent to a major in the field.
NOTE: Applicants must submit all relevant transcripts that demonstrate you possess the required education to meet the Basic Qualifications.
Specialized Experience. Specialized experience is experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled.
• You must possess 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service or public which includes, designing and developing research protocols using behavioral and social science perspective of public health issues and/or conducting research on consumer perception, intention and/or use of products that could be applied to tobacco and/or other regulated products
All qualification requirements must be met by 11:59 pm (Eastern Time) on 06/22/2021. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your responses when compared to your background information, you may be deemed ineligible or your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your skills and abilities. You must continue to meet all requirements through the hiring process.
To apply: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/604661500
CTP Job Page: http://www.fda.gov/ctpjobs
Please apply at: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/604661500
FDA/ Center for Tobacco Products