Cancer Health Disparities Research FacultyPosting Date: 09/06/2022
Closing Date: 11/08/2022
Virginia Commonwealth University invites applications for a Cancer Health Disparities Research Faculty, 12-month non-tenure track position at the rank of Instructor or Assistant Professor in the Sheppard lab. The lab is part of the Department of Health Behavior and Policy, School of Medicine and closely affiliated with Massey Cancer Center. Our mission is to transform the health landscape through multidisciplinary research, education, and service. Our research identifies the behavioral, social, organizational, and policy factors that affect the health of individuals and populations.
The Cancer Health Disparities Research Faculty will work directly with Dr. Vanessa Sheppard, PhD, the Principal Investigator, to support the development of externally funded research portfolio in areas of cancer health disparities research. The incumbent will be part of the leadership engaged in strategic planning and development of Dr. Sheppard’s research portfolio, as well the overall management of operations for the lab.
The Cancer Health Disparities Research Faculty will have a range of responsibilities for the research lab’s operations spanning multiple projects. The incumbent will oversee staff hiring and supervision, development of grants and manuscripts, budget management, protocol optimization and other duties related to the operations of the lab. Additionally, the faculty will assist in the operational direction of the Office of Health Equity and Disparities Research (OHEDR) in Massey Cancer Center. The faculty will serve as the primary interface between lab and faculty for the programs in the Office.
• Master’s degree required for Instructor rank
• A doctoral degree in public health with a concentration in epidemiology or health, behavior and society or psychology with concentration in pediatrics, health or quantitative psychology required for Assistant Professor rank.
• Knowledge in all areas of research management including research design, recruitment and retention of subjects in longitudinal and clinical studies.
• Data collection from multiple sources, data management and analysis
• Knowledge in quantitative research methods including biostatistics, statistics, or quantitative psychology
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU.
• Previous experience in areas of cancer research related to health disparities
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Interested candidates should access the following link to complete the online application https://vcu.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/2/home/requisition/2289?c=vcu. Please include your CV, cover letter, diversity statement and contact for 3 references. Please email questions to: Michael Preston, PhD, Search Committee Chair, [email protected]
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence.
Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you can share how your lived experiences; and past, present, and future academic and professional activities have or will contribute to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion.